By Tracy O’Connor, Board of Directors, Girls on the Run Central Maryland
Girls on the Run® is an after-school character development program that uses the power of running to inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum that creatively integrates running. The program combines training for a 5k (3.1 miles) event with self-esteem enhancing, uplifting workouts.
The goal of the program is to encourage positive emotional, social, mental, spiritual and physical development.
Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The program is for girls in 3rd-5th and 6th-8th grades.
- Classes begin the week of September 13th and will meet twice a week for approximately 10 weeks.
- Cost $150 (scholarships available)
**Maximum enrollment is 15 girls per school. Additional slots pending availability of volunteer coaches.
At Girls on the Run we strive to:
- Recognize our power and responsibility to be intentional in our decision making
- Embrace our differences and find strength in our connectedness
- Express joy, optimism and gratitude through our words, thoughts and actions
- Lead with an open heart and assume positive intent
- Stand up for ourselves and others
[Tweet “In 2014, #GirlsOnTheRun hosted 333 end-of-season #5k events in the United States + Canada. #GOTR”]