Maryland Food Bank
December 12 @ 8:45 am - 12:15 pm EST
ALL VOLUNTEERS ARE are ***REQUIRED*** to sign up for this event at the MD Food Bank’s website. A link to that site will appear once you’ve signed up on this Central MD Volunteers Meetup page.
The Maryland Food Bank needs an accurate estimate of how many people will be volunteering for this event, so please update your RSVP as soon as possible if you aren’t able to make it to this event.
IMPORTANT VOLUNTEER INFO:
– We have been advised that Apple Maps does NOT accurately reflect the location of the warehouse. Do NOT use Apple Maps for driving directions to the Maryland Food Bank.
– Please arrive to the warehouse ON TIME. We can’t begin until EVERYONE is at the warehouse.
– Volunteers must commit to working a three-hour shift.
– For safety, volunteers may not wear open-toed shoes or heels.
– Wear clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty (which probably won’t happen, but it’s a possibility). Volunteers should dress comfortably — preferably in jeans, shorts, sweats and t-shirts.
– All volunteers must attend a brief orientation at the beginning of their shift.
– Volunteers must be at least 14 years old.
– Volunteers under the age of 18 cannot work on the conveyor belt in the Baltimore warehouse.
Additional volunteer info can be found at the MD Food Bank’s website, at https://www.mdfoodbank.org/volunteer/ .
The Maryland Food Bank was founded in 1979 to coordinate the procurement and distribution of food donations from manufacturers, wholesalers, retailers and government agencies to organizations providing free food to the state’s hungry.
Volunteers usually work on a high-tech conveyor belt in the warehouse, pulling specific types of food from the belt as they pass, and packing the sorted food into 25 – 50-pound boxes. Full boxes are then placed on the Maryland Food Bank’s daily menu, available for more than 600 soup kitchens, pantries and shelters across the state to order.